The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. They oversee state and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population–students, teachers, principals, and other educators –throughout Maryland.
Maryland has a special place in the early days of U.S. education – King Williams School opened in 1696 as the first school in the United States. 322 years later, itslearning has been selected by the Maryland State Department of Education to further its goals around a virtual educational learning management system. Through its Instructional Technology and School Library Media Program (ITSLM), the Maryland State Department of Education collaborates with local school systems, institutions of higher education, and other organizations to increase and encourage the effective integration of of technology into teaching and learning.
ITSLM provides whole online courses, digital resources, blended learning opportunities, and eCommunities to 20,000 students and teachers within Maryland’s 24 local educational agencies and other affiliated institutions such as the University System of Maryland, Towson University and Maryland Public Television. Student and professional development online courses are offered on a semester basis. Blended learning courses are offered through a combination of face-to-face and online sessions that utilize interactive communication tools.
MSDE chose itslearning after an evaluation process in which they assessed a number of other platforms. During this process, itslearning demonstrated that it had something special to offer – something that was flexible and scalable – and brought together two willing partners with a common vision.
The Mission of the Maryland State Department of Education
- BE EFFECTIVE. Provide every student with highly effective teachers and educational leaders.
- BE INCLUSIVE. Engage with parents, families and community members to improve student outcomes.
- BE INNOVATIVE. Integrate evolving technologies, instructional strategies, and emerging skills that enable all students to reach their fullest potential in a globally competitive environment.
- BE ACCOUNTABLE. Enhance learning for every student through use of objective, data-driven measures of success determined by state and national standards.
- BE SAFE. Promote a safe, healthy environment for students.
We are proud to welcome the Maryland State Department of Education to the itslearning family!